Thursday 27 August 2009

We all Start Somewhere…the Barbara Barry Archive 1988

bbarry ctrr_7I’m cleaning my office, and look what I have come across!

The first time I heard the name Barbara Barry was in 1988…she was featured in Remodelling Ideas that winter. I’m surprised by how much her look has changed, but it has been over 20 years (I was 22)…can you believe it?!

I moved back to Ucluelet from Port Alberni, to Key West, back to Victoria and then to Vancouver in that time, so that means I have paid for this article to moved several times! I do love print…the pages are yellowing and they smell musty. This house appealed to me so much at the time, I tore it out and stored it for over 20 years! Who knew she would become the designer rock star that she is today!

Sorry about the picture Barbara…we were all wearing it :) And listening to Pearl Jam. I especially love the bow in the hair…remember those?

Enjoy…and give me your thoughts on the amazing career of this talented designer!

bbarry ctrr_6 bbarry ctrr_3bbarry ctrr_4 bbarry ctrr_5 image

 Photo by Oberto Gili for Town and Country.

Today Barbara is the Grand Dame of Hollywood Glamour and is one of the most prolific designers. A lifestyle that I find tres chic! A role model for embracing change head on.

9 comments:

Tracy Watier said...

Yep, that looks like 1988 alright!! I had a blue and white dhurrie in my apartment that looked a lot like the one here under the dining table. Only mine was two rugs hand-stitched together because I couldn't find what I wanted (affordably) in a size large enough for my living room! I don't remember wearing bows like that but I did have bigger hair!

katiedid said...

I hate to think back to what my hair looked like in '88. Too funny!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

And look at her now! Wow! I can see why you originally liked the design - I do like the picture of the bedroom. It seems so open and airy and the beams on the ceiling are great.

Things That Inspire said...

I loved this! It was not a sophisticated time for decor or attire, was it? I graduated high school in 88, and remember wearing bow barettes for my ponytails!

I wish we could see more of the kitchen. I find the open shelving to be so interesting - it is what a lot of people are doing now! The color scheme was light, but it seems like the look was more about pickled pine than the limed oak as we see now.

Martha said...

I, too, have some designers that I've liked for a long time.

What can I say about the 80's?

nannykim said...

Fun stuff--thanks for sharing.

Nancy DeVries/ Urban Aesthetics said...

Wow- thanks for sharing that! It is a good reminder to look at where we started and where we are now.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You can still see her signature style back then. Perfectly edited and well aged - except the photo of Miss Barry (lol)

qerat said...

you might get yourself in trouble with the Grand Dame of Design for showing that picture :)
I like it by the way, I think it is cute.
I love her style and her achievements